Gum disease is one of the most misunderstood and easily ignored conditions, yet its impact can be far-reaching. Knowing the facts about this chronic infection will help you protect your smile and overall wellness. Take Dr. Thomas Bissell’s quiz about gum disease in Chester, NJ, to test your knowledge:
1. Symptoms of gum disease include:
a. Bleeding gums
b. Bad breath
c. Receding gums
d. All of the above
2. Gum disease can be treated with:
b. Root canal therapy
c. Dental implants
d. Nothing, it goes away on its own
3. Common causes of gum disease include:
a. Eating hard foods
b. Using tooth whitening products
c. Grinding your teeth
d. None of the above
1. All of the above (D). Periodontal disease typically begins with bleeding, swollen gums. Other symptoms include bad breath, gum recession, tooth sensitivity, tooth loss, and bone loss. See your periodontist if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
2. Lasers (A). Dental lasers offer a convenient, effective treatment for gum disease, along with antibiotic therapy and deep cleanings. Periodontal disease never subsides without treatment.
3. None of the above (D). Gum disease is the result of an overgrowth of bacteria that infect the gum tissue. This can be caused by poor brushing or flossing, hormonal changes, genetics, smoking, and other factors, but none of the activities listed.
Benefits of a Visit to the Periodontist
While your dentist may be the first person to spot your gum disease in Chester, NJ, you should be referred to a periodontist for numerous reasons:
Gum disease is our specialty. We have years of additional education and training in this area.
We have advanced equipment, like dental lasers, to help you avoid traditional gum surgery.
Specialists are able to offer continued preventive maintenance to ensure that your smile remains healthy.
We offer customized treatment plans, not a one-size-fits-all approach.
If you have noticed bleeding or swollen gums, contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Bissell. He is happy to discuss your concerns in detail and provide you with options that make sense for you.